Car accident lawyers explain what Delaware drivers need to know.
Fatal car accidents on highways in Delaware happen more often than they do in many other states, according to a recent nationwide traffic safety study conducted by MoneyGeek. When it comes to highway accidents, Delaware has the fifth-highest fatality rate of any state.
US highway accidents in Delaware are among the highest nationwide
The nationwide traffic safety study conducted by MoneyGeek focused on which types of roads in each state have the most fatal car accidents. The study was based on car accident fatality data from 2019 to 2021 collected by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
One of the road types in the study was US highways, which MoneyGeek defined as high-speed roads maintained by the federal government. According to the study, Delaware had the 5th-highest car accident fatality rate on US highways. Specifically, 28.8 percent of fatal car accidents in Delaware between 2019 and 2021 occurred on US highways, according to MoneyGeek.
State highway accidents are also common
Along with US highways, state highways in Delaware are also especially dangerous. Compared to other states nationwide, Delaware had the 10th-highest car accident fatality rate for car accidents on state highways, which MoneyGeek defined as high-speed roads maintained by the state. Specifically, 46.1 percent of all car accident fatalities between 2019 and 2021 occurred on state highways in Delaware.
Where else do car accidents happen in Delaware?
Along with state and US highways, fatal car accidents also occur on several other types of roads and highways in Delaware. The MoneyGeek study contained data about car accident deaths on three other types of roads, including:
- Local streets (local roads with speed limits of 20 to 45 mph) – 10.2 percent of fatal car accidents occurred on these roads in Delaware between 2019 and 2021.
- Interstate highways (high-speed roads that connect traffic from one state to another) – 7.8 percent of car accident deaths in the state.
- County roads (roads maintained by a state-organized municipality or town) – 7.1 of fatal car accidents statewide.
Common crash factors
So, why do so many serious car accidents happen in Delaware? The most recent annual traffic report compiled by the Delaware State Police based on 2021 crash data identifies some of the most common causes, including:
- Speeding – 34 percent of car accident deaths are due to speeding drivers.
- Drunk driving – 30 percent of car accident fatalities in Delaware occur due to drunk drivers.
- Distracted driving – More than 6,500 car accidents each year on average in Delaware are caused by distracted drivers.
- Failure to yield – More than 2,400 collisions occur each year on average statewide due to drivers who don't yield to other motorists.
Holding at-fault drivers accountable
If another driver caused your car accident in Delaware, you might think you don't need a lawyer to handle your car accident claim. Unfortunately, many claims involving car accidents quickly turn into complicated legal cases. This is because rather than paying you the compensation you deserve for medical bills and other accident-related expenses, an insurance company may try to save money by reducing or denying your claim.
Our car accident lawyers at Gill, Welsh, and Chamberlain, P.A. understand how confusing and upsetting it can be to deal with an insurance company after a crash. That's why we want to help. When you have our legal team on your side, you can rest assured that we will aggressively advocate for your best interests and fight for every dollar you deserve. We also work on a contingency fee basis. That means you pay no fees unless we win your case.
Don't let an insurance company try to downplay the severity of your claim. Get the Delaware law firm that gets results. Contact us and schedule a free case evaluation with a law firm you can count on when you've been injured due to negligence.