Many of Delaware's most catastrophic traffic collisions include more than two cars. Some may even involve large semi-trucks or chain reactions involving several vehicles.
Multiple-vehicle collisions often happen on major roadways, interstates, or busy intersections. A single incident can also back up traffic for several hours and increase the risk of additional crashes.
The outcome of a multi-vehicle crash could be devastating and result in serious injuries or deaths. When more than one person is injured by the actions of a negligence driver, multiple parties and insurance companies can be involved. That's why it's critical that you consult with an experienced Delaware car accident attorney who can help sort out the complexities of your claim.
What triggers crashes involving several vehicles?
A multi-vehicle crash can start as a two-car crash, but then turn into a chain reaction. Here are just a few examples how:
- Rear-end collision: One car struck from behind at an intersection and either pushed into another car or into the line of traffic.
- Head-on collision: A head-on collision sends two cars into different directions and into the line of traffic.
- T-bone crash: A driver is struck after running a red light and either hits another car or is hit by another car.
- Pile-up: A sudden stop in traffic results in a chain reaction of rear-end collisions. Slippery roadways and unexpected obstacles can trigger a pile-up.
Multiple-vehicle crashes aren't just limited to these examples. Human error (distracted driving, drunk driving, and speeding) is usually the initial cause.
Contributing factors may include:
- Hazardous weather or road conditions
- Traffic congestion
- Poorly-designed intersections
- Crashes involving large commercial trucks
Who is liable for causing a multiple-vehicle crash?
When more than two cars are involved in a single crash, it can be difficult to pinpoint who is at-fault. This requires an in-depth investigation from an experienced attorney and crash reconstruction expert.
If you were injured in a multiple-vehicle crash, the legal team at the Law Office of Edward C. Gill, P.A. can help you get started on your claim, gather the facts, and negotiate with insurance companies to help you get the compensation you deserve.
To find out how we can help you get compensated for medical expenses, lost wages, or other crash-related damages, contact us online and one of our attorneys will get back to you. We offer free, confidential legal consultations to clients in the Georgetown area.