A car accident in Georgetown or anywhere in Delaware can happen in seconds. It can cause a wide range of injuries that require medical treatment.
One of the first things people do after a crash is to check to see if they are injured. Sometimes, it’s not easy to tell. At the Law Offices of Edward C. Gill, P.A., our experienced car accident lawyers know that someone hurt in a car crash may have suffered internal injuries that aren’t immediately obvious.
Common internal injuries
- Traumatic Brain injury – A head injury in an accident can cause the brain to slam into the inside of the skull, resulting in bleeding or bruising. This can lead to headaches, problems with memory or concentration, emotional instability and sleep problems. Depending on the severity of the injury, these problems can be short-term or permanent.
- Broken Ribs – The force of impact during a collision can result in fractured ribs. These injuries can be very painful and severely limit mobility. Treatment often involves rest, medication and physical therapy. Recovery can take weeks or even months. Surgery may also be needed, if a fractured rib resulted in other damage.
- Pneumothorax – In some cases, a fractured rib can puncture a lung. This causes the lung to collapse. Air escapes the lung and enters the chest cavity. It can result in pain, chest tightness, difficulty breathing and fatigue. A doctor may use needle aspiration to release trapped air and surgery may also be needed.
- Damaged organs – Internal organs can be damaged in a high-speed crash. These include the liver, kidneys and spleen. The damage can cause these organs to stop functioning, leading to serious health issues. Depending on the severity of the injury, surgery may be needed to repair the damage and restore function.
- Internal Bleeding – The trauma of a crash can cause blood vessels in the body to rupture. This can leave blood vessels unable to clot and repair themselves. Symptoms of internal bleeding include abdominal pain, lightheadedness, chills and fatigue. Surgery may be needed to stop the bleeding and repair the blood vessels.
It is important to get medical attention as soon as possible following a car accident. A doctor can examine you and perform tests to determine if you have suffered any internal injuries, then begin treatment immediately.
Hire a Georgetown car accident attorney if you were hurt in a crash
After you get the medical treatment you need, your next step should be to contact an attorney. Medical expenses can add up quickly after a car accident. If you were injured as a result of negligence, you shouldn’t have to pay. Insurance companies will try to minimize your injuries in an attempt to pay you as little as possible, however.
Our legal team will carefully review your medical records, as well as the accident report and other documentation. We investigate to get the facts. Our lawyers build strong cases that prove your injuries were caused by the negligence of another driver. We are committed to helping you recover the financial compensation you deserve.
If you’ve been injured in a car accident in Georgetown or anywhere in Sussex County, contact us today to schedule a free consultation.